We are back for Season 2! And, it is our 1 year Podiversary! Thank you to all of you for listening and supporting us. We are so excited to start this new year with more romance-related shenanigans!
To kick it off, we decided to watch a movie that is beloved by many–just not us, James Cameron’s 1997 epic, “Titanic“. Take your Dramamine and get your floaties on and enjoy this amazing discussion of this watery love story. Did we mention, we only watched the last half of the movie?
Moral to the Story: White, heterosexual love survives.
Other Fun Topics Discussed:
- Catching up on life after three months on break. Basically, winter sucks, work sucks.
- Mallory was 10 years-old when she first saw Titanic and Kate Winslet was the first movie nudity she ever saw.
- We both really hate this movie.
- Mallory wanted to make sure we watched exactly half of this movie. We started at 1:36:01
- Jack and Rose’s love caused the Titanic to hit the iceberg.
- The reason for lack of diversity on the Titanic was slavery.
- Mallory agrees with Roxane Gay: “It’s fucking bullshit that Jack dies. There is plenty of room on that door. I am going to bed.”
- Mallory thought it would be a better use of time to build your own raft out of doors instead of running around.
- Tamu’s Lesson Learned: Drink & be on the top deck.
- Knowledge Check: learn about the systems that have led to financial inequality, and the current concentration of wealth and power. Watch or read Requiem for the American Dream
- Every Rose and Jack scenario would end in Jack being dead EXCEPT for the one with the door.
- How many life jackets did Rose get then leave?
- Our favorite part of the movie is the quartet playing “Nearer my God to Thee.”
- Love creates catastrophe.
- They both really could have shared that door.
- Jack’s thoughts as he freezes to death, “Me winning that ticket was the best thing that ever happened to me…not…glug…glug…glug.”
- Remember “The Phantom“?
- Class distinction hasn’t changed.
- Bad at Love Theory: Jack would have lived if not for trying to save Rose.
Podcast Shout Outs: